Sunday, June 10, 2012

Science behind beauty


I have always envied Europeans for their elegant style and self-confidence in the manner in which they can make any thing look good. However, one thing that seems to be universal is the obsession with looking young and good. Our class discussions and lessons have put a lot of emphasis on the significance of antioxidants to prevent oxidative damage, which can lead to neurodegenerative diseases and certain cancers. With all of the information about the importance of antioxidants in diet, it seems that it has become mainstream to incorporate antioxidants into one’s diet and daily routines. I will admit, that I have also become conscious of the power and need for antioxidants. As a young woman, I am obsessed with looking young and good. And with all of the information presented on the news, it seems antioxidants are the way to go. I have become more conscious about the products I buy, which has made me curious about how these products are made and with what exactly. In my search for the science of makeup, I found out that one of my most liked products functions as a result of the chemical properties and composition of H2O.
Waterproof mascara is both a blessing and a curse. I love that it on rainy days or trips to the pool and beach, I don’t have to worry about looking like a raccoon. But the curse is that even with a make-up remover specific for waterproof mascara, I never am 100% confident that all of the mascara has been removed.
As we have all been taught in general chemistry in high school, water is a polar molecule. In order to create water-proof mascara, the people at CoverGirl and Maybelline must have recognized this and created mascara with hydrophobic properties, making use of that timeless lesson that “like dissolves like.” Hydrophilic molecules consist of polar bonds are readily dissolved by water, whereas hydrophobic molecules are not “water loving” and are not easily dissolved by water molecules.  The molecule that is responsible for preventing me from looking like a raccoon when I go to the beach is dimethicone copolyol.

A derivative of silica, this molecule is commonly found in antiperspirants, moisturizers, sunscreens and shampoos. As a result of its various methyl groups and overall hydrophobic properties it acts as a water repellent, giving shine to your eyelashes without letting water wash off the mascara. The following is a patent for the chemical composition of waterproof mascara, which shows the significance of silicone compounds aka the dimethicone copolyol:


Sources:
http://joannelovesscience.com/science_beauty.html

No comments:

Post a Comment